Yeovil Archaeological & Local History Society -
Published: 08 October 2019
Yeovil Archeaological and Local History Society - Winter 2019/20
Are you interested in history and archaeology? Particularly of Yeovil and its surrounding towns & villages?
YALHS talks start at 19:30 (prompt) on the 1st Friday of the month October-May. We also organise regular visits to archaeological digs and historical sites during the summer months.
Fri 4th Oct
- "The Roman History of Ilchester" (the Roman occupation of Ilchester & the surrounding area up to AD 427.
Speaker - John SmithFri 1st Nov
- "The Roman Conquest of the South West" (the way of life etc - And the reorganisation from military to civil)
Speaker - Derek Gore
Fri 6th Dec
- "Rural Poverty in South Somerset" 1881 Census - Based on Wincantin Workhouse covering surrounding villages
Speaker - Chris Forrester
Fri 3rd Jan
- Members' Evening. All welcome. With various talks, a quiz and light refreshments
Let Brian or Andy know if you would like to give a talk.
Fri 7th Feb
- "The Hisory of Carnivals in Somerset" Carnival has a 400 year history in Somerset.
Speaker - John Dano
Fri 6th Mar
- "The Knights Templar" Founded around 1118 to protect pilgrims on their way to Jerusale
Speaker - James Bond
Fri 3rd Apr
- "Money Through Time" The study of the history of coinage
Speaker - Laura Burnett
Fri 1st May
- Short AGM followed by a talk
Speaker - TBA (Non-members free)
Talks are held at the Holy Trinity Church and the Community Centre, Lysander Road, Yeovil, BA20 2BU. Members free, Non Members £2.
Individuals £10; Couples £15; Family £18; Juniors/Students £2
Find out more at www.yalhs.org.uk or www.facebook.com/YALHS